Obama’s speeches all run together into the same mind-numbing oration.
by Rich Lowry
Barack Obama’s vibe used to be a cross between JFK and Beatlemania. Now it’s fading into “Oh, him again?”
There’s nothing wrong with a boring politician. But Obama isn’t becoming boring in a stolid, dependable Angela Merkel kind of way. He’s not boring like a mannerly George H. W. Bush or a thoughtful Bill Bradley. He’s boring like yesterday’s celebrity.
He’s the teen heartthrob who’s grown a little too old. He’s the star from The Real World Denver — three years ago. The cruel vicissitudes of the celebrity culture apply to everyone. If Paris Hilton can be overtaken by the even-more-pointlessly famous Kim Kardashian, no one is safe.
Much of what was new and different about Obama didn’t survive its first contact with reality. His core supporters on the left suffer from what Woodrow Wilson called, in a different context, the “tragedy of disappointment.” They expected a glorious new dispensation. Yet Gitmo remains open, more troops are going to Afghanistan, and the tides haven’t receded.
Swing voters had more modest hopes — responsible, nonideological governance. Nope.
The Obama team believes there is only one person who can redeem his political project — and that’s Barack Obama. He must be deployed early, often, unrelentingly. He’ll talk to your children in the classroom, show up during your Thanksgiving Day NFL game and explain — and explain some more — his policies.
The old preacher’s adage is, “Tell them what you’re going to tell them. Tell them. Tell them what you told them.” Obama might add “repeat as necessary,” including on late-night TV shows... Read the whole article.
Welcome to the Reading Room
Here are some news stories and articles which might be of interest to you. I've posted the opening section, and if you want to read more, you can click on "Read the whole article" to go to the original item. You'll find a variety of things here -- current news, political analysis, opinion pieces, articles about religion -- things I've happened to read and want to share with you. It's your Reading Room, so take your time. Browse. You're certain to find something you'll want to read.
Visit my blog...
- ► 2010 (54)
- The boy who paints like an old master
- 2009: The Anglican Year of Living Dangerously
- The Story of the Man and the Birds
- Sen. Lautenberg Declines To Say Where Congress Get...
- Urbi et Orbi Message of His Holiness Pope Benedict...
- Ronald Reagan: Christmas Address to the Nation
- Thou SHALT shoplift: Priest tells congregation it'...
- Christmas Message 2009
- First Jesus-Era House Found in Nazareth, Israel
- Anglicanorum Coetibus: A Glorious New Era of Chris...
- Popes Pius XII, John Paul II declared 'venerable'
- Legion of Christ discloses Fr. Maciel's plagiarism...
- The Catholic case against health-care reform
- God Is Relevant; The Art of Desecration
- Remembrance, and Maybe Sainthood, for Bishop Fulto...
- The Most Boring Man in the World?
- Pope to preach in Westminster Hall
- Rowan Williams cannot now prevent an Anglican schi...
- The Anglo-Catholic
- Pope, Russia agree to upgrade diplomatic ties
- The Divorce Myth
- ▼ December 2009 (21)
- Fr. Christopher George Phillips
- Fr. Phillips is the founding pastor of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the first Anglican Use parish, established on August 15, 1983. Not that there is any confusion, but he is on the left, shown in his younger, less gray-headed days.