by David Warren
In Jerusalem, on the Dome of the Rock -- situated on top of what is almost certainly the Holy of Holies, within the ancient Temple precincts -- is an inscription, in their earliest angular Kufic script, on what was also the earliest monument the Arabs caused to be erected in a conquered land. It reads, in its most significant part: "Praise to Allah who begets no son and has no associate in power and who has no surrogate for humiliations." The point is sustained by repetition, together with the contrary assertion that Mohammed alone can provide intercession on the day when the Muslim community is resurrected.
That is on the outside of the Dome. On the inside, there is a further long inscription, which mentions Jesus and Mary by name; states that Jesus was an envoy of Allah; that the religion of Allah is Islam; and that Allah will reckon with those who dissent.
Nearly 14 centuries have passed since this challenge to the existence of Christianity was made; and indeed, we are living in the fallout of certain manifestations of it today.
Yet we have today, at least in the more progressive and nominal Christians of North America and Europe -- most certainly including Catholics -- the curious notion that Christianity is compatible with Islam. That it is likewise compatible with all other religions. That it is compatible with a Darwinian cosmology, and therefore with atheist materialism. That it is part of "diversity"; and so on...
Read the whole article.
Welcome to the Reading Room
Here are some news stories and articles which might be of interest to you. I've posted the opening section, and if you want to read more, you can click on "Read the whole article" to go to the original item. You'll find a variety of things here -- current news, political analysis, opinion pieces, articles about religion -- things I've happened to read and want to share with you. It's your Reading Room, so take your time. Browse. You're certain to find something you'll want to read.
Visit my blog...
- ► 2010 (54)
- Back to School
- The Trick
- GOP Soul Check
- Mostar bishop reiterates rules for Medjugorje pari...
- Catholic Martyrs of the Holocaust
- Obama's Too-Big-to-Fail Plan Is Too Dumb to Pass
- House Remodeling
- Mont St. Michel: Magnificence on a Mudflat
- Catholic public figures who scandalize faithful mu...
- The Campaign is Over, Mr. President
- Without Bush, media lose interest in war caskets
- In De-Christianized Europe, Ratzinger Focuses on t...
- The Brainy Bunch
- Even in Capitalists’ Bad Times, Europe’s Socialist...
- Death Be Not Proud
- Why Medical Malpractice Is Off Limits
- Democrats try to pack the courts
- There Are Only Two Choices Left on Iran
- Outsourcing Hate
- You Mislead!
- The Voice of Twentieth-Century Catholicism
- Pope urges Europe to remember Christian heritage
- Unanswered questions from the NEA
- Of Blight and Men
- Judge not. . .
- Iran’s Not-So-Secret Secret
- The Trouble with Obama
- Eugenio Zolli’s Path to Rome
- The Runaway Abbot
- Afterthoughts from the U.N. Address
- Congress Needs a 72-Hour Waiting Period
- Obama's Iran Formula
- Sorry, but U.S. and Libya are different
- Critics Call for Defunding the Catholic Campaign f...
- The Kennedys' Senator
- Senate Cloaks Obamacare
- Obama's Time Warp: The U.S. Is Still the Bad Guy
- From Our Lady’s Dowry
- Obama's Health Care Bait and Switch
- Vatican Official: Church Erred in Holding Kennedy ...
- On Waffling, Tradition, and the Magisterium
- Obama and the Politics of Concession
- Barack Obama, College Administrator
- The Argument from Conscience
- Hillary's Honduras Obsession
- Obama's Befuddling Afghan Policy
- The Art of Corruption
- Upon This Rock
- The U.N. and Double Standards
- Our Missile-Defense Race Against Iran
- Strangers to Dissent, Liberals Try to Stifle It
- Splitting social and life issues? Can't do it.
- The Truth That Tells a Lie
- On American Morals
- C.S. Lewis: The Problem of Pain
- ACORN and the Catholic Church
- Capitalism After the Crisis
- The Long Retreat
- Caritas in Veritate, Abridged
- Lawsuit Firesale
- Fort Sam Houston - Mother-in-law of the Army
- Ancient Churches in the Holy Land
- Hunt for priests in Xiwanzi diocese
- New Guide Recommends Faithful Catholic Colleges
- Are You Smarter Than A Fifth-Columnist?
- Why Are the Christians Leaving the Holy Land?
- Race to the Bottom
- Hi-Ho, the Derry-O
- Santa Fe: Celebrating 400 Years of Holy Faith
- All in the Family
- Jared Monti’s soldiers watched him give his life, ...
- The Stimulus Didn't Work
- The Money Pit
- Apologetics for the Scripturally Challenged
- Anti-Americanism: Alive and Well in the Age of Oba...
- The Other Catholic Higher Education
- Georgia Pharisee
- Community service is not what made America great
- Patriarch's plea on behalf of the Holy Land
- What You Need to Know About the Mormons
- Media Malpractice: Tom Brokaw's World Implodes
- The Victory of the Cross
- The Problems with Special Ed
- My Name is Lazarus, and I Live
- Senator Kennedy's Final Attempt at Salvation
- Childhood, stalled
- The Authentic Transformation of “Useless” Human Su...
- Finally Catholic! My Conversion to the Catholic Ch...
- Any Friend of God is a Friend of Mine
- Our National 9/11 Schizophrenia
- Confessions of a cradle Catholic
- Private revelations: "Keep to what is countenanced...
- Obama's 'Gift' Has Stopped Giving
- Euthanasia and Murder
- Obama and the Bureaucratization of Health Care
- The Limits of Self-Hate
- What the Public Thinks of Public Schools
- Sorrowful Mother, Joyful Children
- Weird Things Happen: How Catholics Should Deal wit...
- ▼ September 2009 (123)
- Fr. Christopher George Phillips
- Fr. Phillips is the founding pastor of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the first Anglican Use parish, established on August 15, 1983. Not that there is any confusion, but he is on the left, shown in his younger, less gray-headed days.