by Andrew Malcolm
Chicago politics, where voting is such a revered civic duty that people do it even after they're dead, cold, stiff, stuffed, boxed and buried beneath the permafrost for years, has now come to D.C. with the Obama administration.
This afternoon comes the most encouraging economic news, courtesy of our keen-eyed buddy Rick Klein over at ABC, that the Obama administration's $787-billion economic stimulus has, for example, thankfully created 30 new jobs in a little-known rural corner of Arizona at a cost to American taxpayers of only $761,420.
That works out to only $25,380.67 spent to create each individual job.
Seems like a lot per slot, but those 30 folks must be happy to be employed again and paying taxes.
This will be a real feather in the cap of Vice President Joe Biden, who's been left behind and assigned by the ever-campaigning president to monitor the stimulus plan, its spending and effectiveness moving into the crucial midterm elections of 2010. Might the Democrats snatch that House seat?
So the people of that 15th Congressional District in staunchly Republican Arizona should be pretty happy about this.
Trouble is, there is no 15th Congressional District in Arizona. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Doesn't exist... Read the whole article.
Welcome to the Reading Room
Here are some news stories and articles which might be of interest to you. I've posted the opening section, and if you want to read more, you can click on "Read the whole article" to go to the original item. You'll find a variety of things here -- current news, political analysis, opinion pieces, articles about religion -- things I've happened to read and want to share with you. It's your Reading Room, so take your time. Browse. You're certain to find something you'll want to read.
Visit my blog...
- ► 2010 (54)
- Mosul: Christian buildings attacked, Church of Sai...
- Kill the Bills. Do Health Reform Right.
- CRU’s Tree-Ring Circus
- The $698,000 mistake
- The Bad Business of Planned Parenthood
- A Danger in Dubai
- Proclamation Establishing Thanksgiving Day
- Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscie...
- Happy Franksgiving
- Catholics set up a task force for huge Anglican ex...
- Kennedy says RI bishop banned him from Communion
- Saturday Night Fever
- Archbishop tells Pope: there will be no turning ba...
- Bishops discuss authority over Catholic colleges
- Obama’s Prissy America
- Good news: Obama creates 30 new jobs in one congre...
- The Bishops at the Cliff: Tobin's Challenge
- Archbishop of Canterbury claims higher taxes would...
- The Rationing Commission
- The Cardinal and the Constitution
- Pope Benedict Putting Church On Path To Unity
- ▼ November 2009 (21)
- Fr. Christopher George Phillips
- Fr. Phillips is the founding pastor of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the first Anglican Use parish, established on August 15, 1983. Not that there is any confusion, but he is on the left, shown in his younger, less gray-headed days.