by Ray Henry
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Roman Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin has banned Rep. Patrick Kennedy from receiving Communion, the central sacrament of the church, in Rhode Island because of the congressman's support for abortion rights, Kennedy said in a newspaper interview published Sunday.
The decision by the outspoken prelate, reported on The Providence Journal's Web site, significantly escalates a bitter dispute between Tobin, an ultra orthodox bishop, and Kennedy, a son of the nation's most famous Roman Catholic family.
"The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion," Kennedy told the paper in an interview conducted Friday.
Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him "that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I've taken as a public official," particularly on abortion... Read the whole article.
Welcome to the Reading Room
Here are some news stories and articles which might be of interest to you. I've posted the opening section, and if you want to read more, you can click on "Read the whole article" to go to the original item. You'll find a variety of things here -- current news, political analysis, opinion pieces, articles about religion -- things I've happened to read and want to share with you. It's your Reading Room, so take your time. Browse. You're certain to find something you'll want to read.
Visit my blog...
- ► 2010 (54)
- Mosul: Christian buildings attacked, Church of Sai...
- Kill the Bills. Do Health Reform Right.
- CRU’s Tree-Ring Circus
- The $698,000 mistake
- The Bad Business of Planned Parenthood
- A Danger in Dubai
- Proclamation Establishing Thanksgiving Day
- Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscie...
- Happy Franksgiving
- Catholics set up a task force for huge Anglican ex...
- Kennedy says RI bishop banned him from Communion
- Saturday Night Fever
- Archbishop tells Pope: there will be no turning ba...
- Bishops discuss authority over Catholic colleges
- Obama’s Prissy America
- Good news: Obama creates 30 new jobs in one congre...
- The Bishops at the Cliff: Tobin's Challenge
- Archbishop of Canterbury claims higher taxes would...
- The Rationing Commission
- The Cardinal and the Constitution
- Pope Benedict Putting Church On Path To Unity
- ▼ November 2009 (21)
- Fr. Christopher George Phillips
- Fr. Phillips is the founding pastor of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the first Anglican Use parish, established on August 15, 1983. Not that there is any confusion, but he is on the left, shown in his younger, less gray-headed days.