Meet the unelected body that will dictate future medical decisions.
As usual, the most dangerous parts of ObamaCare aren't receiving the scrutiny they deserve—and one of the least examined is a new commission to tell Congress how to control health spending. Democrats are quietly attempting to impose a "global budget" on Medicare, with radical implications for U.S. medicine.
Like most of Europe, the various health bills stipulate that Congress will arbitrarily decide how much to spend on health care for seniors every year—and then invest an unelected board with extraordinary powers to dictate what is covered and how it will be paid for. White House budget director Peter Orszag calls this Medicare commission "critical to our fiscal future" and "one of the most potent reforms."
On that last score, he's right. Prominent health economist Alain Enthoven has likened a global budget to "bombing from 35,000 feet, where you don't see the faces of the people you kill."
As envisioned by the Senate Finance Committee, the commission—all 15 members appointed by the President—would have to meet certain budget targets each year. Starting in 2015, Medicare could not grow more rapidly on a per capita basis than by a measure of inflation. After 2019, it could only grow at the same rate as GDP, plus one percentage point.
The theory is to let technocrats set Medicare payments free from political pressure, as with the military base closing commissions. But that process presented recommendations to Congress for an up-or-down vote. Here, the commission's decisions would go into effect automatically if Congress couldn't agree within six months on different cuts that met the same target. The board's decisions would not be subject to ordinary notice-and-comment rule-making, or even judicial review... Read the whole article.
Welcome to the Reading Room
Here are some news stories and articles which might be of interest to you. I've posted the opening section, and if you want to read more, you can click on "Read the whole article" to go to the original item. You'll find a variety of things here -- current news, political analysis, opinion pieces, articles about religion -- things I've happened to read and want to share with you. It's your Reading Room, so take your time. Browse. You're certain to find something you'll want to read.
Visit my blog...
- ► 2010 (54)
- Mosul: Christian buildings attacked, Church of Sai...
- Kill the Bills. Do Health Reform Right.
- CRU’s Tree-Ring Circus
- The $698,000 mistake
- The Bad Business of Planned Parenthood
- A Danger in Dubai
- Proclamation Establishing Thanksgiving Day
- Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscie...
- Happy Franksgiving
- Catholics set up a task force for huge Anglican ex...
- Kennedy says RI bishop banned him from Communion
- Saturday Night Fever
- Archbishop tells Pope: there will be no turning ba...
- Bishops discuss authority over Catholic colleges
- Obama’s Prissy America
- Good news: Obama creates 30 new jobs in one congre...
- The Bishops at the Cliff: Tobin's Challenge
- Archbishop of Canterbury claims higher taxes would...
- The Rationing Commission
- The Cardinal and the Constitution
- Pope Benedict Putting Church On Path To Unity
- ▼ November 2009 (21)
- Fr. Christopher George Phillips
- Fr. Phillips is the founding pastor of Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, the first Anglican Use parish, established on August 15, 1983. Not that there is any confusion, but he is on the left, shown in his younger, less gray-headed days.